There are tons of opportunities in Europe for career breakers - including here in the UK. It's particularly good if you want to do paid work, learn a language, or do snowsports.
Some Europe facts for career breakers:
- You can work in EU countries without a permit (if you are a British citizen).
- Europe is a great place for seasonal work - both summer and winter. Resorts always need helping hands on ski lifts, with driving, in hotels, beach bars etc.
- If you are sporty or just generally active, you can work at summer camps in Europe. Many organisations include training and even qualifications!
- If you're interested in learning a language, you can do it in the country it's spoken. Many language schools offer cultural immersion programmes with host families. This is a great career break option if speaking a second language will help your promotion prospects.
- There are lots of other cultural learning opportunities in Europe, such as art history in Italy, cooking in France or dancing in Spain.
- Volunteer opportunities are available mainly in Eastern Europe and in the UK.
And if you stay in the UK?
- You don't have to get used to a new language or culture, so you don't spend any time acclimatising. This makes it a good option if you don't have much time for your career break.
- It's relatively cheap - as you're not flying anywhere.
- Be aware that some volunteer projects in the UK actually require you to live somewhere away from home – the plus side is that accommodation is often provided for you.