Fancy going to China, Japan, Korea or Taiwan on your career break? It's a great place for career breakers who want to teach English, volunteer, or learn a new skill, and the diversity of the region means that travelling there is a real treat.
Far East facts for the career breaker:
- TEFL is the best way to get paid work here (although Japan also has a working holiday visa scheme). There's a big demand for English teachers in the region.
- Volunteer opportunities in the Far East are mainly in China. They include community development, working with children and medical placements.
- There are some really fun courses in the Far East - some are stand-alone, like martial arts, and some are short ones incorporated into volunteer and travel programmes - like kung fu or dumpling making!
- Learning the language can help you in your career break (talking to English students or people you're volunteering with), and in your career itself.
- People assume North Korea is out-of-bounds - it's not, but very few Westerners visit.
- Visiting the Far East will give you an insight into their culture and social conventions, which will stand you in good stead in your career, particularly if you have clients from that part of the world. Some volunteering or exchange programmes include cultural classes and/or language lessons.
- Whether you're in a rich or poor region, travelling responsibly is crucial.