Training to be an instructor is a great way of working your way around the world.
Most instructor training courses focus on adventure sports. Snowsports are particularly popular, as are water sports, including surfing, diving and sailing.
For snowsports, the most popular instructor training places are in Europe (especially Swizterland) and Canada. The USA, Scotland, South America and New Zealand also have ski and snowboard instructor courses.
For any kind of surfing, the USA, Australia and the Caribbean are places to go. If you want to be a scuba diving instructor, anywhere tropical should be able to offer you training. Sailing courses run in a variety of places.
- Make sure your insurance covers you for whatever sport you will be doing - you sometimes have to pay an extra premium for adventure sports.
- Courses can be expensive, but as with many other things, you get what you pay for. The ski instructor courses featured here, for example, use top instructors and have very high pass rates.
- Make sure the qualification you receive is one that is internationally recognised, if you're planning to teach abroad.
- Many training organisations will help you find a job when you pass - some even guarantee it.
- You're not too old - lots of older people do instructor training courses on their career break!